Hello again from San Jose, Costa Rica this was a week full of long drives and new places. Our task this week was to travel with Katherine and Eloy around the Pacific part of the country doing some preventive maintenance. Monday, we stayed in San Jose because we had to help Katherine take some batteries to the Metropolitan hospital which is downtown of the city. Tuesday, we traveled to Siquirries, a city that we had already visited in the second week of our internship. In Siquirres, we went to the hospital to deliver the parts needed to fix an autoclave that hasn’t been working for months. We spend the day at Sequirres and I had rice and beans for lunch which is one of the main dishes of the region.

Wednesday, we travel to Puerto Viejo one of the most touristic places in Costa Rica that is very close to the border with Panama. We went to the hospital and Katherine taught us how to do preventive maintenance on a surgery bed which was very interesting. Also, we did maintenance on an electrocardiogram that is very fast and straightforward. Then, we went to our hotel which was in front of the beach to rest for a few hours. Moreover, Katherine took us to another hotel for a day pass to enjoy the pool which was very relaxing and fun. For dinner, I tried the seafood soup which was very good and tasty. Thursday, we went back to Sequirres because I had an interview with Brevistest for an intern position.

We spend the night in Sequirres and Friday we drove to Turrialba. In Turrialba, Katherine gave training to the staff of the new hospital on how to use the new anesthesia machines. Emily and I took advantage of the training and learned everything about the new anesthesia machines which was very cool. Being part of this training made me realize that innovation is not always finding something new but also can be improvements to old designs. Next Week we are going to be in San Jose helping in hospital Mexico. I will share all my new experiences.