Hey everyone! Another calm week for GMI students. No big trips planned or no super eventful nights, but still a great week. I got to have a day off of work this week due to my supervisor being out, and it was a much needed day of sleeping in and relaxing and more sleeping…. Other than that, the majority of my week was very routine which is sometimes a good thing.

For a slight change of scenery, some of the students and I booked a room in San Jose’s URBN Escalante apartments. This was a cheap and quick way we could do something small but still relaxing outside of the hostel. This apartment complex includes a pool, cinema, coworking space, and multiple bars and lounges. So, nothing too thrilling but enough that we don’t feel like we are completely wasting our weekend.

One of the major selling points for us booking this room is the absolutely amazing view of San Jose! You can see out so far past the central city limits and up to all of the surrounding mountains. It is a view that is gorgeous all day; however seeing the sun come up and set have definitely been the best. There was no dramatic sunrise or sunset, because naturally there are clouds crowding the skies, but something about the booming city appearing so sleepy is just a whole new feeling of appreciation for the city itself.

Friday night, we were able to join as a group and try the highly recommended Costa Rican Beer Factory. I had a flight/ sampler of all 9 seasonal brews, and ultimately decided on a light brew with a subtle pineapple aftertaste – it was SO good. The food options were also all fantastic sounding and I think everyone enjoyed their food a lot. After family dinner we joined some of my coworkers to celebrate a birthday, and we again had so much fun. It was a pretty late night, and it was so good to come “home” to URBN with a cold room and an amazing view of the sleeping city!

Today was spent at the pool and trying a few new food spots in the Escalante strip below. Again, another relaxing day that was much needed. Tonight we are going to cook dinner in the apartment and try out the rooftop bar and the views from there! Tomorrow we want to try to get everyone together for some type of activity like mini golf or bowling to finish off the weekend. Hopefully we will have a more thrilling update next week! Chao