I can’t lie when I say I was worried about spending my summer in Costa Rica. What’s life going to be like? Will I get along with the other GMI students? After hopping on my connecting flight from Atlanta to Costa Rica, I was relieved to see a familiar face – it was Michael from orientation. Suddenly the rest of the trip wasn’t so bad. We got food together at the airport and rode in the same Uber to our hostel, Selina, in San Jose. So far, things have been going great.

I’ve really enjoyed my time here so far. It’s been fun to just unwind and slow down. I’m surprised at the variety of fruits and vegetables available at the local farmer’s market. So far, I’ve purchased a papaya and bananas which was very rich in flavor and sweet. The food here is very different but I’m excited to explore every aspect of it during my time here.

Today, we explored a Starbucks coffee plantation. A little bit of background – I recently took a coffee design class at Auburn so you already know I was invested in every aspect of the coffee production cycle. Apart from the beautiful and foggy view while it was raining, I actually learned tons about basic coffee economics and timelines. Everyone seems to think super expensive coffee must taste the best but really it’s a supply and demand issue. Overall, really cool stuff and I hope we get to see a Britt (local) plantation as well.

Overall, it’s a little too early to reflect but I’ve got a feeling this summer’s going to be a good one. Stay tuned for the next update – peace!