Cuando usted ve futbol de Costa Rica, necesita animar La Sele! At Establishment labs, our number one priority is the safety and quality of the medical devices we produce, of course, but pride for Latin American fútbol comes at a close second. Last Friday, our company proudly displayed its national pride for Costa Rica’s 6:00am World Cup match by postponing the start of the workday so everyone could show up early for free breakfast and cheer on los Ticos. Tico is another word for “Costa Rican”, a phrase often heard alongside such others as “Pura Vida”. From what I understand, Ticos have a tendency to add the diminutive tico to words rather than the standard ito. This seems to be something not uncommon in various Latin American countries, but the change from chiquito to chiquitico is something Ticos are very proud of.

The actual work week is exhausting, but exciting, because I am learning so many things that I was never exposed to during my undergrad. My division of RDI (Research, Development and Innovation) is currently developing a new device to improve the biocompatibility of their current aesthetic implants. By using an extremely innovative approach, we have been exploring various ways in which we can solve traditional problems and mitigate common concerns among implant and mastectomy patients. As an M.B.E. student, I have been tasked with testing the mechanics of various materials and substrate candidates for our prototypes -and the data analysis that goes along with it. At first, I was stressed and felt completely out of my element, but I like to think I learned relatively quickly. We have another very busy week ahead, with regulatory meetings and calls to sister labs in the U.S., but I’m looking forward to it!

This past weekend, we decided to take a break from the non-stop adventure hikes and beach adventures and stay local. We explored artsy neighborhoods in downtown San Jose (but still managed to find ice cream and butterfly gardens!!!). We could have spent all afternoon just wandering around, looking at the bright buildings and beautiful wall murals if we hadn’t gotten so hungry smelling the local artisan food. Granted, I just continued to eat variations of Gallo Pinto (pinto burritos, pinto bowls, etc.), but it still tasted delicious. My biggest problem with the food here (and food in general, to some extent) is that I eat it so quickly and I don’t realize I’m full until my 2nd or 3rd plate (aka Sarah or Annie’s leftovers). Looks like I’ll have to run a few extra miles to keep up my Pinto obsession!