It has been a busy week for me here in California. I do not graduate from Stanford until June 17th, so I am finishing up school and finals while also starting GMI! I will be traveling to Costa Rica right after graduation and cannot wait to start the experience.

I have been focused on design within bioengineering these past couple years of undergrad. I am currently finishing up projects looking at sanitation and health in India as well as designing for medically complex children and their care. These two projects have pushed me to be a better teammate, a more intentional designer, and allowed me to work on design projects within health. I hope to build these skills and experiences from this quarter and the rest of undergrad with the GMI program. I am excited to learn new design skills, work within teams of peers, and gain more experience working with international communities. 

I was able to call into last week’s bootcamp and learn more about teams and how to effectively work as part of one especially internationally. Meeting my new teammates through video was great and I cannot wait to be with everyone in person and work with them this year. We also talked about how to be proactive and get the most out of our summer internships by setting clear goals. The internship will be a way for me to gain skills in the workforce and internationally. Each of us also presented on a topic that interested us about Costa Rican culture and I enjoyed getting to hear about food, nature, politics, and education in Costa Rica and felt more prepared for my trip. I presented on the local crafts that are made and sold in Costa Rica including masks, carretas (oxcarts), and pottery. 

These next couple weeks will go by fast with finals and graduation and I am trying to cherish these last moments. I am excited to meet my teammates and be in Costa Rica in two weeks!