Being my first internship experience, this is the first time I have to go through such an intensive period of training – not to mention the plethora of documents and procedures that must be read for all the different tasks we may come across. This week we were assigned much more training and readings which have helped me understand how things work in the medtech industry.

I have found it very helpful to be able to draw parallels to other procedures I had familiarized myself with in my family’s business; my parents own and run an industrial microbiology laboratory under ISO 17025 accredited testing. These tests require validation and verification in many instances, just like the processes in the medtech industry. It is very convenient when previous knowledge ends up chaining towards one’s understanding of newly acquired concepts. I hope in the coming weeks I get to learn more about ISO 13485 and FDA regulatory requirements as it is one of my main interests right now.

Moreover, I have registered for a one-day training course on statistics; now would be a good time to brush up on it since I will be needing it throughout what remains of the internship and probably during the rest of the Master’s program. The training session is in the Coyol site, so we will now get to know both sites – I have never been there just as I had never been to Global Park before, even though it is just a 20 minute ride from where I have lived all my life, in Santa Ana.

Hopefully I will have more to write about next week since we have the training, plans to visit a clinic in Escazu and I am sure I will write about my expectations for the upcoming short course with (fellow) students from Costa Rican universities.