Hello there, readers! Welcome back to my blog as I continue to share my experiences during my clinical rotations in Costa Rica. Last week, Travis and I continued our journey at the Hospital Nacional de NiƱos (HNN) under the guidance of Dr. Roger Vargas. We have also expanded our clinical rotations into design theory-crafting and testing at Hospital Clinica Biblica’s Innovation Center.

Title: Sid’s Journey: Constructing a Critical Path in Bionic Hand Development

As a member of the bionic hand development team, I had the privilege of being part of an exciting project focused on constructing a critical path and action items sheet. This endeavor aimed to streamline our progress and guide us over the next four weeks. Join me as I share my experiences, challenges, and milestones encountered during this incredible journey.

My involvement began with finalizing the base bionic design, specifically the Kwawu hand and the Phoenix unlimited hand. Working alongside Travis, I took on the responsibility of assembling the printed Kwawu hand in PLA. It was fascinating to witness the transformation from a digital model to a tangible prototype. Additionally, I meticulously assessed the fit of SG 90 servos in both hand designs, ensuring that they functioned optimally.

Understanding the mechanical advantage of bionic hands was a critical step. To achieve this, we obtained dental bands with small diameters to evaluate the SG 90 servo pull. We also acquired a linear actuator for testing on the Kwawu and Phoenix designs. Conducting these experiments allowed us to fine-tune the mechanical aspects of the hands, enhancing their dexterity and overall functionality.

As part of the team, I was actively involved in conducting extensive research for implementation. Together, we identified the target market, considering various factors such as geography, patient population, and size. This research enabled us to tailor our design approach to meet the specific needs of our intended users. Additionally, we explored competitive products in the market, gathering insights and inspiration for our own innovation. Furthermore, we outlined a clear path for regulatory implementation, understanding the necessary steps and requirements to bring our bionic hand to the wider audience.

One of the exciting tasks was maximizing the mechanical advantage of the bionic hand. I closely collaborated with Travis, who designed and 3D-printed custom servo rotors. These rotors were meticulously tested with nylon lines of varying diameters to achieve the desired fit. This iterative process allowed us to optimize the hand’s grip strength and overall performance, ensuring it could meet the demanding needs of its users.

In parallel, I actively contributed to the electronics development aspect of the bionic hand. Troubleshooting servo stutter at the end of the potentiometer range was a challenging task, requiring careful adjustments to ensure smoother movement. Additionally, I worked on determining the power requirements for Myoware sensors and Arduinos, successfully acquiring two nine-volt batteries. Another crucial step involved sketching out the placement of electronic components within the hand design, ensuring seamless integration. We made modifications to the bionic hand base model to accommodate different patient sizes, making it a versatile solution.