Hi again from Costa Rica, this week was full of long drives and exciting experiences at Meditek. Monday, we stayed in San Jose with Jesus and Lucia working in a hospital close to the office. Our task for the day was to check the hospital’s vital sign monitors and electrocardiograms. We divided the tasks between groups so Lucia and Emily took care of the equipment outside the surgery room; Jesus and I took care of the equipment in the surgery room. Going inside the surgery room is always uncomfortable because we need to change our clothes to scrubs which is always time-consuming and the scrubs never fit my size. However, we were able to check all the equipment in the hospital without any problems and I was able to check electrocardiograms by myself.

Tuesday, was a very new experience for Emily and me as we drove all the way to Limon to fix the lights of an anesthesia machine. Changing the light was a struggle because it was the first time Maria was tasked to fix it. At first, we were very confused because we couldn’t find the screws to open the top of the machine. So, we had to call Lucia for help and she told us to break the metal that covers the top of the machine. It took Emily, Maria, and me to detach the metal of the cover of the anesthesia machine, I was very scared that we were actually damaging the machine. After a lot of work, we were able to find the screws of the top cover and open the anesthesia machine. Then, it was very simple to change the light, it was just replacing the broken parts and screwing back the screws. Then, we check three more anesthesia machines and Maria was testing us on our knowledge of anesthesia machines. Then, we went back to the hotel and I ate an amazing tuna. Wednesday, was a very relaxed day because we just had to get some papers signed by the engineers of the hospital and then we spend the morning on the beach with Emily. We had a great time but it was very sunny so we got sunburned.

Thursday, I traveled to Guanacaste with Oscar and Melvin to check on some lamps and electrocardiograms. We had to fix one electrocardiogram because somebody in the hospital messed with the configuration and they were not able to make it work. So, the solution was to reset the whole equipment using the serial number. Then, we had to do preventive maintenance to the other three electros which was very simple and fast. Furthermore, Oscar taught me how to do preventive maintenance to lamps and check if they were working fine. Friday, we drove most of the day back to San Jose as the drive was about four hours. Then, I played soccer with my coworkers which was a lot of fun. Next week I am going to be in San Jose working in Clinica Catolica.