After our introduction to San José, it was time to get to work! I like that the sun comes up so early here because it allows me to get my training runs and cross training before classes/work and keeps me on a good schedule. I am looking to find other routes other than running around La Sabana if anyone has any suggestions!

I was lucky enough not only to observe both public and private hospitals such as Hospital Clínica Bíblica (HCB), CIMA, and Hospital de Niños, but I also had an amazing group to do it with. While it was somewhat disappointing to have limited clinical exposure in our first two needs finding experiences at HCB and CIMA, we still made great observations and I was able to practice my medical Spanish! We also observed lots about the differences in hospital insurances and workflows in Costa Rica and how hospital layouts compare to those in the USA. I was lucky enough to be with Dr. Vargas, who will be my internship mentor for the summer, at Hospital de Niños on Wednesday morning. While it required an early wake up to get my workout in before a 7am observation, it was definitely worth it! I talked through four ideas for summer projects with Dr. Vargas, toured the facilities, and observed a surgery in which rods were being inserted into the back of a scoliosis patient. It was interesting to again note the workflow within the OR and what was similar as well as what was different between the two.

Post workout vibes coming from Smart Fit next to one of the City’s public parks.

It wasn’t all work, though! I have found that doing rehab exercises on the hostel’s terrace is very nice in the evening, and I hope to do that more often as work and medical school applications allow. The view of the mountains from the hostel is beautiful!

Mountain view from the hostel terrace with a rainstorm rolling in.

The terrace also has a foosball table, which our needs finding team made sure to put to good use when we weren’t observing in the clinic together:

Finally, this week, I met the Selina cat! Still don’t know his name, but I am going to make him like me by the end of this trip.

I am sorry I didn’t get any pictures observing 🙁 I will try to get some pictures during the internship! I am kind of not looking forward to parting ways with my awesome needs finding team for the Biodesign Bootcamp, but se la vie I guess 🙁