Hello! My name is Emily and I’m joining the GMI program starting this summer in Costa Rica. I’m excited to get immersed in the Costa Rican culture while learning about healthcare systems and medical devices!

About 3 weeks ago, I graduated from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign with a degree in bioengineering and a minor in electrical engineering. From my degree I gained skills in prototyping and circuit design, as well as some basic programming. In Costa Rica I hope to expand on these skills, and *really* hope to improve my Spanish speaking (it’s been a while since high school Spanish). Since I’ll be interning at Meditek, I’m also interested to see what goes into fixing medical devices and performing preventative care, and how I can implement that knowledge into designing devices someday.

Outside of being a student and intern, I like to cook, hike, and play the cello. I’m hoping to learn some Costa Rican recipes, explore the beautiful nature, and listen to music I’ve never heard before. Pura vida!