We finally got the documentation we needed to get started on our implementation projects! Thus, this week has consisted of navigating my way through work and the project. With work, I finished running the second round of pull tests and analyzing the data. Thus, the pull test technical report is 90% done! I sent that draft, as well as the physiological background/market analysis report draft, to my supervisor for some final revisions, and then I will have completely finished my assignments. With a little less than two weeks left at Boston Scientific and in Costa Rica, I would like to make the most of my time left by learning and doing as much as I can. Since I have basically completed both of my assignments, I have been scheduling meetings with my supervisor to see if there are other assignments I can work on, as well as asking my coworkers if they need any help. However, my supervisor can get really busy and forget that we have meetings scheduled on Outlook to discuss my work progress, and coworkers can get busy, too. It has been slightly challenging finding things to do and people to ask, but I am figuring out the best way to go about this with the short time we have left!

For the implementation project, Theresa and I are the leads for mind oVR matter, which is a virtual reality (VR) project started by last year’s cohort. This project explores the application of VR in clinical settings. The four goals of VR application, as determined by the previous year, were in virtual ethnography, anatomy visualization, surgical simulation, and device design construction and feedback. Out of these four things, last year’s group focused on virtual ethnography, as it allows for engineers and innovators to conduct more thorough clinical needs finding in order to better understand and follow clinical procedures. These two points are important because oftentimes, engineers and innovators do not have an in-depth understanding of the clinical background of the device they are creating or working on. Fully understanding the background of a problem and the problem itself is extremely important in creating quality products, and utilizing VR to ensure that this happens could potentially lead to better identification and resolution of clinical issues.

Last year’s group was able to completely build a VR system that is set up in one of the labs at Rice. They also established connections with doctors from institutions in the Texas Medical Center, such as Baylor College of Medicine and MD Anderson, to work on getting cameras set up in operating rooms. Moving forward, Theresa and I are responsible for finalizing camera placement in the operating room in order to complete IRB protocols for the hospitals we will be working with and begin clinical trials. There will be a steep learning curve for us to take on this project, but I am excited to begin working on a project that has the potential to make a significant impact in the medical field.

This weekend, we made our way to the Monteverde Cloud Forest. This has been a highly anticipated trip for me, and it surpassed all of my expectations. Our hike through the forest was literally breathtaking- we went up lots of steep slopes. Figuratively, the viewpoints were just clouds, which was underwhelming but also expected since we were up in the clouds, but it was very cool to think about the fact that we were that high up.

The famous hanging bridge in the middle of the forest. Super shaky!

Our adventure continued at night, when we did a guided night hike through the rainforest. We saw a sloth, tarantula, and scorpion, among other things. It was slightly terrifying but so awesome to see these creatures in their natural habitat.

The scorpion we saw under black light.

Our trip increased in adrenaline as we increased in altitude and went ziplining! I was so nervous to go but am so glad I did it. It was rainy and cold when we went, but the experience was still incredible. Hands down, my favorite trip we’ve taken so far!

Hiding the nervousness behind a smile before taking off