Boston Scientific Project Update 

• New Acquisition

I’ve defined several previously unidentified components and vendors for Boston Scientific’s newly acquired product. My main goal is to complete the Supplier Definition Form in order to submit it to the Supplier Director and Buyers. This acquisition has a very aggressive timeline as its anticipated release to market date is January 2019. In light of this, there is no time to find more inexpensive and local vendors. This is known as a TAI (transfer as is) project.

• Ureteral Stent

After talking with Boston Scientific’s materials experts and some vendor R&D teams, we decided to redefine our design specifications. We discovered that our desired application is extremely novel and therefore none of our suppliers have an existing material. Therefore, we are planning on experimenting with additives and blends in order to change the physical prorates of the material. In the coming weeks, I plan on working closely with Process Development engineers during the prototyping phase and continuing to research potential vendors we could use during the production phase.

• Biopsy Jaw

I’ve examined the biopsy jaw’s closing and opening mechanism and determined the mechanical problem. In order to better understand the device’s functionality, I assisted with the assembly process of the biopsy jaw device. In the coming weeks, I will use the device drawings to precisely calculate the alterations the R&D team needs to implement in order to ensure full closure of the jaws. In addition, I assembled and tensile tested the adhesion efficiency of a problematic connection within this device. This connection needs to withstand 15 pounds and right now it can only withstand around 11 pounds. I plan on performing other tensile tests on the problematic connection using various loctite glues.

Tracking Progress

I’ve found it difficult to record my progress and completion of tasks because most of my work is recording over email with my various supervisors. As I’ve made more and more progress on my projects, the disorganization of my work flow has become more and more apparent. To keep up this momentum in an organized fashion, I’ve created a Weekly Assignment document which outlines my past accomplishments and future goals every week. On top of organizing my schedule, I plan to present this to my supervisor during our weekly meetings to help him evaluate my work.

While talking to my colleagues I found that they all initially had trouble keeping track of their progress and had to develop their own methods. I can’t help but think that Boston Scientific would run much smoother if they had a more intuitive database to upload, edit and share documents…

La Fortuna

This weekend a group of us spent two nights in La Fortuna. We explored some very muddy trails around Arenal Volcano, which is the youngest and most recently active volcano in Costa Rica (don’t worry Mum and Dad, the last eruption was 20 years ago). We then relaxed our muscles in the Baldi hot springs until dark. Sunday morning, we did some frantic souvenir shopping at the hand-crafted stores and explored a 75-meter waterfall. I have really enjoyed exploring Costa Rica during the weekends and I can’t believe we only have three more weekends! It’s strange to think that we are leaving in less than a month!!!

We walked up and down 500 stairs to swim close to the La Fortuna waterfall.

This week I began running in the mornings before work and I am always greeted by this curious cow.