The end of the semester is always a roller coaster, and this one has been no exception. I’ve been incredibly busy with wrapping up projects and classes and making sure that I’m hitting the goals I put forward earlier in the semester, and work has definitely been keeping me on my toes.

These past couple of weeks have been full of presentations. We had final presentations for our Healthcare Innovation and Entrepreneurship class, our implementation project, our needs finding, and our extracellular matrix class. Each of these presentations required a lot of preparation and planning with teammates. All this presenting has made me much more comfortable in front of an audience now than I was even a few months ago, and I’m excited to keep developing my public speaking skills as we move forward.

For our HIE class, we presented our COPD detection project to investors. This pitch was pretty different from the other presentations we usually do, and we got a lot of really good feedback, questions and comments. Preparing for this pitch was a lot of work, but my team worked really hard and everyone did a fantastic job!

We also had our final presentations of the work we’ve done on our implementation projects this semester. Many of our collaborators watched these presentations either in person or via Skype from Costa Rica and Brazil, and it was really cool to hear their thoughts and comments. Many of these collaborators have worked on these projects in the past, and it was exciting to show them the progress we were able to make so far.

We also started to screen the needs that we have gathered over the course of the program, in order to determine what projects we might like to work on next semester. Each GMI student presented their top 3 needs, and we will be picking from this pool of needs. These presentations were really cool. Students found needs from such a diverse range of locations, including EMS shifts, surgeries, and discussions with medical professionals. In the next couple of weeks, we will be selecting needs and teams to move forward with.

I can’t believe we are more than halfway through with GMI, and in just 5 months I will be graduating from Rice (again)! Can’t wait to see what next semester has in store!