It’s hard to believe that we’re already more than halfway through the semester! The month of October really flew by. Based on the feedback we received from Roy and Ronald at Invenio and from Monica from Hospital Liberia, we had quite a few things to consider for our redesign of the DialOasis “cuartito”. We also learned of the various steps that we will need to take before we can begin a clinical trial, which we are still aiming to start next semester.

“To-do” list based on our conversations in Costa Rica.

After coming back from Costa Rica, we took the time to compile a list of various tasks that we would need to complete in order to continue moving the project forward. As you can see, there is clearly plenty of work for us to finish! In this last month we took the time to decide what changes we wanted to make to the design. We brainstormed, completed Pugh matrices, and expanded on our artistic abilities via sketching to come up with our proposed changes. Based on feedback from Costa Rica, we knew that we needed to a) cut down costs and b) make the unit easier to build. We decided to try constructing the walls out of tarp instead of individual panels, which past teams have considered but didn’t end up selecting. Our work before the end of the semester will include developing the finalized CAD models of this design so that we can start building!
This past weekend we had the opportunity to attend the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) conference held in Austin this year. I was very excited to attend as I was not involved with SWE during undergrad, and had no idea what to expect from the conference. With over 13,000 people in attendance, needless to say I was blown away with what I saw! The career fair was similar to a tech expo, with representatives from almost all of the major medtech companies and plenty of freebies! The conference was a great chance to network, but also allowed me to catch up with other women engineers from Michigan and Baxter that I hadn’t seen in a while! This last month flew by, and I have a feeling November will as well.

GMI-ers take SWE!